Schematic illustration of the arches in the upper mediastinum transverse section. T-trachea, SVC- superior vena cava, MPA- main pulmonary artery. S-spine
Prognosis: According to the data from 150,000 deliveries in our region, the estimated risk for a symptomatic vascular ring is 1 in 7500 children. Based on our sonographic findings, it seems that nearly 90% of children with a vascular ring are asymptomatic and therefore unknown. Most symptomatic patients have respiratory symptoms that consist of stridor, cough, wheezing or combination of these symptoms. About one-third of patients also have dysphagia or evidence of poor feeding.
Associated anomalies: In our fetuses, we did find other structural anomalies. However, according to the literature there is an incidence of 7-28% of associated anomalies, mainly, heart defects.
Recurrence risk: There is one report on two sisters with a vascular ring.
Implication for targeted examinations: Diagnosis is accomplished via barium esophagogram, CT, MRI and echocardiogram of the vascular branching patterns.
Management: In symptomatic cases, the treatment is usually thoracotomy and excision, ligation or reimplantation of the aberrant vessel.
1. Friedman WF. Congenital heart disease in infancy and childhood. In Braumwald E ed, Heart Disease, A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine 5th edn. WB Saunders Company 1997:877-962.
2. Chunk K, Colombani PM, Dudgen DL, Haller JA, Jr. Diagnosis and management of congenital vascular rings: a 22-year experience. Ann Thorac Surg 1992;53:602-3
3. van-Son JA, Julsrud PR, Hagler DJ, et al. Surgical treatment of vascular rings: the Mayo Clinic experience. Mayo Clin Proc 1993;68:1056-63.
4. Anand R, Dooley KJ, Williams WH, Vincent RN. Follow up of surgical correction of vascular anomalies causing tracheobronchial compression. Pediatr Cardiol 1994;15:58-61.
5. Ledwith MV, Duff DF. A review of vascular rings 1980-1992. Ir Med J 1994;87:178-9.
6. Bronshtein M, Lorber A, Berant M, et al. Sonographic diagnosis of fetal vascular rings in early pregnancy. Am J Cardiol 1998;81:101-3.